Coloring reed baskets is a popular basketry craft
for holiday decoration. Know how to make colored reed basket here.
Coloring Reed Baskets
Colorful reed baskets are wonderful gift items. Colorful wood stains and painting can make your reed baskets look even more beautiful and chic. You can put flowers in the baskets and use them to decorate your front door. You can also use colorful reed baskets as a table centerpiece. They can also be used for holiday and festive decoration. Fill a basket with knick-knacks, goodies and fruits and use it as a gift for special occasions. The personalized gift will not cost you much and will certainly touch the heart of your friends and loved ones. Coloring reed baskets is quite easy to make, because it doesn't consume much time. Check out the instructions in the following lines and learn how to make colored reed baskets.
How To Make Colored Reed Baskets
- Drop Cloth
- Foam Brush, Bristle Brush or Paint Sprayer with Air Compressor
- Little extra Reed
- Mineral Spirits
- Oil-based Wood Stain
- Painter's Mask, Gloves and Eye Protection
- Reed baskets
- It is easier to stain woven baskets rather than unwoven materials for better finishing.
- Choose a premium quality oil-based wood stain color of your choice.
- Cover the working surface with a drop cloth.
- Paint can be toxic and should strictly be kept out of the reach of children. It is advisable to paint either outdoors or inside the room that has adequate ventilation.
- Wear proper protection before you start coloring reed baskets.
- Wood stain can be combustible and should never be placed near heat, flames or electricity wiring.
- Stir the stain well to dissolve all the solids.
- Mix mineral spirits with the stain in the ration of 2:1 to dilute it. Two parts should be mineral spirits and 1 part should be stain.
- Check the color on the extra piece of reed before applying it on the basket to check the effect.
- Cover the basket with the stain to cover all the surfaces using the brush.
- Wipe off any drips off the basket.
- You may apply another coat of stain for a darker shade.
- Foam brushes are disposable while bristle brushes last longer. Use paint sprayer attached to an air compressor, only if you have to stain several baskets at once.